Updates and Build Notes
October 4th, 2023
- Document Layout Defaults: A new option has been added which allows to toggle the default display mode of documents opened in WellCAD. Either Page Layout or Draft and Fit layout can be selected as default.
- Imported logs display: The user can now set a flag in the WellCAD default settings to display all imported logs in the borehole document or show them only in the Explorer Bar.
- TFD import: Data channels produced by the real time processor of the Spectral gamma tool can now be selected for import.
- Meta Data bar: New IDs and values added to the Meta Data bar are now recognized when a new header containing the corresponding IDs is attached to the borehole document.
- Volume calculation: A bug has been fixed that produced depth shifted and incorrect results when depth was in imperial units and a constant diameter was been used.
- Mud log symbol size: The symbol size value in the Mud log properties is now saved with the borehole document.
- MultiWell module: A problem with the loading of borehole headers has been fixed.
- MultiWell module: Text in string annotations can now be edited again.
August 17th, 2023
- Log Summary bar: A second y-axis scale will be displayed when the cumulative percentage is shown.
- Volume calculation: The number of digits for the numerical output of volumes can now be defined in the dialog box. The range of automatically recognized unit strings has been extended by "cm", "in" and "inches".
- Automation: A NbMetadataproperty and a MetadataKeysmethod have been added to support access to the contents of the Meta Data bar.
- RQD process: The number of decimals has been limited to 1 for the output in % and to 2 for the output as a fraction between 0-1.
- Log layout engine: The sensitive area to have log titles swapping their positions horizontally and vertically while overlapping them has been decreased.
- The LAS 2.0 export does not crash anymore when From and To depth values are the same.
- Log Summary bar: Incorrect labeling of the NULL data bin, problems with the y-axis scaling when displaying the Gauss Distribution and a bug with the histogram display for Interval log types have been fixed.
- TFD import: A problem that multiple Image logs where created for ABI data sets containing varying trace length has been fixed. Issues with FWS and OBI data imported in Time mode have been solved as well. FWS traces were imported reversed and OBI image distorted.
- Flow Velocity process: The process adds now a complete entry into the log history.
- Right click on log title: A problem with accessing the wrong log when dealing with hidden and visible log titles in the same track has been fixed.
- Adding / removing a trailer: When adding a trailer to the header / trailer section a different design was added instead. WellCAD crashed when removing the incorrectly added header design. Both issues have been fixed.
- Tadpole log from ISI: The values of the corrected picks exported back from the ISI workspace into the borehole document could be different to the ones in the workspace. If any change was applied to the Azimuth and Tilt logs in the borehole document while the ISI workspace was open, the link between the correction processes in the workspace and the source logs in the borehole document was interrupted. The problem has been addressed and fixed.
- Drop Zone for logs: A problem with the blue shaded drop zone staying visible after a log has been dropped from the Explorer bar or when dragging a file into the WellCAD workspace for import has been fixed.
- DLIS import failure: DLIS files with multiple logical file with missing frame / channel definition caused the entire import to fail. The import algorithm is now more stable and imports all logical file with a valid frame / channel definition.
June 21st, 2023
Look and Feel
- WellCAD 5.7 uses a new icon , splash screen and default color theme.
- Documents will open in draft & fit mode by default in order to prioritize the digital data display over the plot layout.
- Selected logs will show the log title box with a translucent overlay instead of an inverted color.
Data Import / Export
- WCL and other file types can now be opened with a simply drag and drop from the File Explorer into the WellCAD workspace. No more "OLE Log Insertion" dialog box will be displayed.
- New meta data handling: The new data import workflow loads all available meta data (i.e. well name,log date, location,...) by default. It will be stored for all imported files in the Metadata bar of the borehole document. The Metadata bar can be used to examine the information, edit values and populate the document header.
- TFD Import: A new, single dialog box with an option to select only the data channels relevant to the user replaces the old import workflow.
- TFD read speed has been significantly improved.
- LAS, DLIS, LOG, LGX/HED, SEG2/SEGY file imports have been streamlined to display only a single dialog box.
- The user can now specify a depth range for LAS file imports.
- ASCII (TXT, CSV, ASC): The multi-stepText File Import Wizard has been replaced by a single Text File Import dialog box.
- Copy and Paste: The user can now copy and paste ASCII data directly into WellCAD to start the Text File Import. No more Copy and Paste Special as Text will be required.
- WellCAD will now save.WCL files in the oldest file format that supports all functionality used in the document.
- The real-time connection between WellCAD and LoggerSuite now includes a channel selection dialog box.
- A new layout engine to resize and position logs has been implemented.
- Merging logs has been simplified and the merge dialog box will only be displayed when an overlap has been detected. Furthermore, the user can now merge two logs by dragging a log title onto another one while holding down the SHIFT key.
Casing Integrity Module
- Improved Casing Joints Detection and Volume Calculation process.
- New simplified initialization dialog box to enter the Casing Integrity Workspace.
- New statistical options for thickness and caliper in combination with thickness data are available.
- New filter options in the Casing Report Table.
- Option to plot histograms, depth vs value or pipe section vs value diagrams for most statistical parameters from the Casing Report Table and the log display in the workspace main view.
Cased Hole Ultrasonics
- The thickness calculation algorithm used in the CHU workspace has been improved to reduce the number of not processable / null results.
- The user can now switch between automatic and manual scaling in the wavelet and spectrum tool bars.
Integrated Python Editor
- The built-in script editor now handles building and running of Python scripts.
- A standard Python v3.10 interpreter with pywellcad preinstalled is bundled with WellCAD which allows immediate execution of scripts without installing external dependencies.
- The user has the option of running code in any other registered Python interpreter they have installed on their machine. Selection can be made in the script editor or by adding the interpreter's path as a comment to the script.
- The script editor supports syntax highlighting, auto completion and live help to allow users to build up their scripts.
- Python scripts are now shown in the File > Automation menu and can be executed from there.
- ToadCAD is discontinued as standalone application. Structure dictionaries can now be created and edited directly in WellCAD using the Tadpole Editor.
- Structure classification dictionaries (.TAD files) can now be loaded easier or edited in-place.
- LithCAD is discontinued as standalone application. Dictionaries with geological symbols and patterns (a.k.a. Litho Dictionaries) can now be created and edited directly in WellCAD using the Litho Dictionary Editor.
- Litho dictionaries (.LTH files) can now be loaded easier or edited in-place.
- The Adjust Brightness & Contrast process provides a result preview to find the best parameters. The processing result will be output as a new RGB log leaving the original data untouched.
- The RQD process has been updated and allows the output of the calculated values in percent. An option to display the results as text has also been added. RQD is also calculated correctly for structures with an aperture interval exceding the RQD calculation interval.
- New Depth Range settings are available for the Structure Interval Statistics process. When using a constant interval length the beginning and end of the overall depth range can be specified now.
- The automatic vertical scale adjustments in the first arrival picking dialog box are now disabled.
- A new process to slice FWS traces in time has been added.
- Import and placement of multiple boreholes using the Edit > Insert New > Borehole option. The borehole header will be scanned for X, Y and Z dynamic text field IDs to derive the borehole coordinates.
- The Clear contents option allows now removal of data over a user specified depth interval.
- A colored background fill can now be applied to text boxes of a Comment log.
- The padding around text on Comment logs and Strata logs has been reduced to make the data display more compact.
- The activation process is now more robust and does not require adding https://ems.alt.lu to the trusted site list.
- License prioritisation is now more sensible
- Customers can automate specifying a license server for WellCAD deployment by setting an environment variable.
- The Log Summary Bar supports the display of axis labels.
- Unit Converter: New conversion options have been added for Velocity, Slowness and Conductivity.
- The user can specify the run direction for the flowmeter calibration workspace which will automatically correct the sign of flowmeter data (i.e. positive ofr the down run and negative for the up run).
- Conditional testing now allows specifying of a depth range that the process is run over.
- New interpolation option when creating Image logs and when using the Resample Logs... option from the Process > Common menu.
- Conversion of Well to Mud Log asks to drop Null values.
- Log color palettes shown in the drop down list in the Properties bar now include the name of the palette.
- Automatic highlighting of the selected log in the Explorer bar is now a slightly darker colour by default which makes it more visible.
- A *.SEG2 file import depth handling issue has been corrected.
- The stability issue and depth mismatches when TVD values were calculated from Mud or Well Logs using the TVD process from the Process > Drilling & Borehole Survey menu have been corrected.
- The stability problem occurring when opening the classification selection for a Structure log in the Tabular Editor has been fixed.
- A bug when converting a Lithology log into a Strata log has been fixed.
- When converting a Marker to a Litho log, the zone from the last marker to bottom of log is now include. A bug where tadpoles and sinusoids sometimes are rendered in black rather that the specified colour has been fixed.
- Casing Integrity workspace: Pipe types are now correctly set when “splitting” a pipe by adding a new joint.
- Casd Hole Ultrasonics workspace: A problem with some logs being imported upside-down has been fixed.
- ISI workspace: A bug related to inconsistencies between the confidence and aperture attributes and when they are updated has been fixed.